Saturday, May 1, 2010

I laid the table

As a gynecologist I have done surgeries. As my hospital is essentially a maternity hospital with ten beds. I run it with the help of my husband who holds PG diploma in anesthesia and masters in general medicine (internal medicine). My nursing staff are trained midwifes. I have trained them in operation theatre work and with there help I carry on my practice.
Recently my well trained nurses had secured government employment and I am left out with only one nurse. Though I had trained them to carry certain theatre work, in general, my husband and I would do all the important work ourselves. Before surgery I would put the instruments table myself so that I can carry on the work smoothly.
Unfortunately, last month I was diagnosed to have huge uterine fibroids occupying almost lower half of the abdomen. I decided to undergo surgery at my nursing home. I requested my senior colleagues, surgeon and anesthesiologist to carry on the task. They kindly obliged to do it our hospital. The surgery was fixed on the early hours (6am). So I had myself prepared for the surgery. I have taken pre-medication the night before. I got up by 4am on the day of surgery. I had enema and shaving of the lower abdomen, took bath. After my prayer I went down (my residence is on the first floor and hospital in the ground floor) into the OT. By then my husband was in the theatre checking his equipment. I washed my hands, wore sterile patient dress. Again washed and wore sterile gloves and laid the Mayo’s (surgical instruments) table. I, as surgeon, anticipating certain problems and not to cause any inconvenience to my colleagues, laid all the appropriate instruments, knife, scissors, clamps, needles and forceps and mops giving the count of everything to my nurse and my husband. After putting everything in order on the table and covered it. Removed my gloves and gave a ring to the members of my surgery team. After that I changed my OT shoes and wore sterile leggings and entered the theatre walking and lied down on the operation table. It was 5.50am. My husband had put the IV cannula and started IV fluid and gave sedative. At that moment one after other my team had come. One doctor had catheterized me and after that started scrubbing my abdomen as anaethesiologist started giving medication and putting oxygen mask on my face. That is all I remember. At 8am when I became conscious I was surprised to know that my surgery was over.
I never thought in my life, while doing surgery that one day I have to lay instruments table my self for my surgery. Anyway while I was doing my job I thought like a surgeon and carried on coolly. With Almighty’s grace everything had passed of well. I am grateful to the team who had come to my hospital and did the surgery on me. As all through my husband who is anaethesiologist and physician was by my side I was quite calm and comfortable.
Under my husband’s care and with help of my sisters and mother my recovery to normalcy was very smooth. I thank god for giving me a good family, friends and workers who stood by me in time of crisis.